Sunday, March 8, 2009

Unit 4

WORKSHEET – UNIT 4


Task 1 – Complete the chart below with the present simple tense, using the verb ‘go’:

PERSON
POSITIVE
QUESTION
NEGATIVE
I
you
he/she/it
You go
Does it go?
It doesn’t go
we
you
they
They go
Do they go?
They don’t go



Task 2 – Identify the following tenses, and give reasons:

a) John is having a shower at the moment.
A definite event occurring at this current point in time therefore it becomes present continuous.

b) I have never met anybody famous.
This is a not an event and has never transpired during a specific time period, for that reason this becomes present perfect.


c) I have been working here for 10 years.
The 10 year duration of this sentence forms present perfect continuous.


d) I go shopping at least twice a week.
This is a habitual or routine duty therefore it forms present simple.

Task 3 – State as many usages as possible of the present tenses with an example sentence for each (not a sentence from the unit!). One of the usages for the present simple, with an example sentence, has been done for you. Bear in mind that there are more:

a) Present simple
1. Facts – “The sun sets in the west.”
2. Commentaries – “Sharapova needs to work on her serve”
3. Newspaper Headlines – “Share market collapses”
4. Directions or Instructions – “Turn left at the next corner”
5. Habitual or routine actions – “I am eating lunch”
6. Present stories – “Jason placed some paper in the printer and it still wouldn’t print!”

b) Present continuous
1. Action at time of speaking – “I am on my way to the shops”
2. Temporary action at a nonspecific time – “I am taking up a new language”
3. Emphasizing frequent actions – “The traffic is always heavy on my way to work”
4. Background events in present story – “When the car pulled up three men exited the vehicle”
5. Developing situation – “The train is coming”
6. Regular action at a point in time – “They always call at dinnertime!”

c) Present perfect
1. General Experience – “I have flown an airplane”
2. Past actions – “I have finished my homework”
3. Past action which is still true – “I have had my license for 3 years”
4. Past action with present result – “My computer has crashed!”

d) Present perfect continuous
1. Communicate incomplete and ongoing activity – “I haven’t smoked for 1 ½ years”
2. Uninterrupted activity with present result – “My eyes are sore from watching too much TV!”
Task 4 – State how the tenses below are formed grammatically. Explain positive, negative and question forms:

a) Present simple
Form: First person either does or does not have an ‘s’ at the end whereas third person is either ‘s’ or ‘es’
Affirmative – Subject (I) + base form (play) + s/es
I run
Negative – Subject (We) + aux. verb (do) + not + base form
We don’t run
Question – Aux. verb (do) + subject (they) + base form (run) + ?
Do they run?

b) Present continuous
Form: Auxiliary verb ‘to be’ with the present participle and ‘ing’
Affirmative – Subject (He) + aux. verb (is) + verb (play) + ing
He is playing
Negative – Subject (They) + aux. verb (are) + not + verb (play) + ing
They are not playing
Question – Aux. verb (Am) + subject (I) + verb (play) + ing + ?
Am I playing?

c) Present perfect
Form: Subject plus the past participle
Affirmative – Subject (It) + aux. verb (has) + past participle (sold)
It has sold
Negative – Subject (They) + aux. verb (have) + not + past participle (sold) + it
They have not sold it
Question – Aux. verb (has) + subject (it) + past participle (sold) + ?
Has it sold?

d) Present perfect continuous
Form: Formed with have and been plus the verb and ‘ing’
Affirmative – Subject (I) + aux. verb (have) + been + verb (work) + ing
I have been working
Negative – Subject (They) + aux. verb (have) + not + been + verb (work) + ing
They have not been working
Question – Aux. verb (Have) + subject (they) + been + verb (work) + ing + ?
Have they been working?





Task 5 – Consider the following student errors. After each error, state:
i) What the mistake is.
ii) Why you think it has been made.
iii) How you would explain and correct the mistake with a student.

a) I am a secretary for five years.

i) The sentence should read as ‘I have been a secretary for five years’

ii) I believe that it has been written using the present simple tense crossed with present perfect continuous

iii) I would demonstrate different examples of the two tenses to the student

b) I have eat breakfast.

i) Verb isn’t written using its past participle

ii) Student is unfamiliar with the different past participles

iii) ) I would produce a table of different past participles to revise


c) She’s liked him since six months.

i) Used ‘since’ instead of ‘for’

ii) Student isn’t aware that ‘for’ is for period of time and ‘since’ is for a point of time

iii) I would explain ii) to the student and give examples

d) When you start work?

i) Auxiliary verb wasn’t used

ii) ‘do’ probably doesn’t translate very well

iii) Go over the basics of Present Simple to the student

e) I’ve been knowing her for three months.

i) Student has used Present Continuous instead of the correct past participle from Present Perfect Continuous

ii) The student has obviously confused the two

iii) Demonstrate the differences between them for the student
Task 6 – Give at least 2 teaching ideas (suitable for the Activate stage of a lesson) for the tenses below.

a) Present simple
Questionnaires
Guess my profession

b) Present continuous
Developing situations
Telling stories

c) Present perfect
What have you done today?
Role-play

d) Present perfect continuous
Match question with the result
Student survey

1 comment: